Can you still remember the feeling when for the very first time, your kid said, “ I wanted to try baseball!” and you have mixed emotions, happy, excited that finally, your child wanted to try America’s past time-baseball!
Here you are as a very supportive parent rushing your way to the store to get your kid their first-ever bat! Good training and technique can help your kids become good players in the future, but it is also essential that they are rightly equipped and have the best youth baseball bats that’s right for them.
With so many options, endless variety, bat drop, different regulations, and all sorts of bat materials to choose from, it’s crazy to go through all of them! And that’s what we’re here for – to help you find the perfect baseball bat that fits your kids that will surely help them make their first home run!
The Anatomy Of A Baseball Bat
First things first! Let’s look the anatomy of the baseball bat. It’s easier to determine which features to look for in a bat when you understand its composition.
The baseball bat remained relatively constant over time, though modifications (like creating them with alloy and composite material) have been applied. Because of the addition of regulations and the change in the game’s playstyle, bats have adapted into what we know them today.
Bats Are Made up of Five Primary Aspects
- Knob: the end, or bottom, of a bat; the disk-like object that keeps the player’s hands from sliding off the end of the bat
- Handle: the portion of the bat where the hitter’s hands go
- Grip: a rubber material that enforces a hitter’s grasp on the bat
- Barrel: thickest region of the bat; the part that makes contact with the ball
- End Cap: the cap that sits on the top of the bat; designed to increase a hitter’s control and determine the swing weight.
The most important criteria for choosing a new baseball bat is understanding the features that your child or youth player requires and what they prefer. It may not seem very clear when you look at at-bats regarding their width, weight, length, and material, but it is essential to consider each of these when selecting the perfect one.
The Types Of Baseball Bats:
Here are the main types of bats that manufacturers offer.
- Aluminum. Metal, more specifically aluminum alloy, is what probably comes to many peoples’ minds when they think of traditional youth bats. Aluminum bats are still widely used today and are built to be light to allow for maximum swing speed. These bats are available in single or double-layer construction, with double-layer offering greater power and ball rebound. Aluminum, unlike composite and wood bats, does not require a break-in period.
- Composite. Composite bats are generally the most expensive bats on the market. These use the latest bat technology. Composite bats are commonly made of carbon fiber polymer and provide the most trampoline effect out of any bat. They are also the lightest, even thinner than aluminum, and are typically more durable, too. Aluminum bats are likely to denting, but composite bats are much more resistant to that type of damage. Thanks to these fibers, they are even lighter than aluminum alloys, making for the absolute fastest swing speed.
- Hybrid. Hybrid bats are kinds of two-piece bats that use two different materials for the handle and barrel. The most common hybrid bats have a composite handle and an aluminum barrel. The good thing about it it makes the handle lighter, meaning the bat can have a longer barrel compared to a solid aluminum bat of the same weight. A longer barrel means it’s easier to make contact and offers a more prominent sweet spot.
- Wood. Most youth leagues do not allow the use of wood bats.
They’re also heavier to swing and require more dedication to use effectively. Wood bats require commitment. They’re often disregarded because they don’t offer any competitive advantage and are just overall harder to use effectively. Some coaches still using wood bats, especially for training purposes. Coaches will incorporate the use of wood bats to help teach kids proper swing techniques. A significant drawback of wood bats is that they tend to break.
Bat Performance Factor
The Bat Performance Factor, or BPF, is the value used to measure how fast a ball will bounce off the bat.
It is commonly compared to the trampoline effect as it describes the rebound on the ball given by a bat’s barrel. This is extremely important considering that parents and coaches always look for youth bats with the most pop possible to maximize player performance. Youth bats must meet the qualification and standard to be stamped with the 1.15 BPF mark to be approved for play.
Understanding Bat Weight And Length (Bat Drop)
Weight is significant to look at as you consider your options. A baseball bat’s accurate weight is measured in ounces (oz.) but is more commonly marked by its drop.
Bat drop is the difference between the length and weight of a bat. If a bat has a length of 28 inches and a drop weight of -10, you can find its actual weight to be 18 ounces. The higher the bat drop is, the lower the actual weight of the bat will be.
To have a perfect weight, it is necessary to find the right length.
To make things easier, we made a chart to help you find the right bat length based on the players height and weight
Be sure to try out multiple lengths and weights to best suit you or your players’ needs!
So we have already discussed the perfect width, length, weight, and you’ve chosen which type of material you want. Now the fun part – picking the bat. When selecting the perfect baseball bat, the brand or manufacturer is essential; you’ve come to the right place. You won’t find a complete list on the web.
10 Best Youth Baseball Bats for 2021
1.Rawlings Raptor Alloy USA Baseball Bat
Are you looking for the best valuable baseball bat for starting your kid’s game? Then you are looking in the right bat. Rawlings Raptor baseball ball bat is an excellent choice for entry-level players of baseball. It is a a well-constructed bat. It will be a helpful addition to the young players who are looking for increasing their confidence and developing skills also. It’s worth every penny.
- One-piece alloy construction
- -12 lengths to weight ratio.
- 2 ¼” barrel diameters.
- Balanced swing weight.
- A perimeter weighted end cap maximizes energy transfer and reduces swing weight.
- Synthetic leather grip for comfort.
- USA bat stamped.
- Approved for use in all T-ball leagues.
2. Louisville Slugger Youth Prime Bat
One of the latest youth baseball bats from the Louisville Slugger series is the Youth Prime Maple. It has a high performing composite bat Louisville Slugger. It is an excellent addition for a smoother experience. Its balanced weight construction will provide young players with a lot of playability.
I would highly recommend this bat to kids of 7 to 10 years of age. This bat truly hits when in the zone, and thanks to the lightweight build, kids can swing and control it easily. I highly recommend this youth wood bat as it is easy to handle and offers excellent control on the swing. Though it’s a little bit pricey, as they always say, You always get what you paid for.
- Composed with a unique three-piece construction.
- Features a drop of -10; perfect for young players.
- Features a barrel diameter of 2 5/8 inches for a more prominent sweet spot.
- The barrel is made of ADV microform composite to provide maximum pop.
- A 100% composite handle with an LS new pro comfort grip to ensure comfort.
- RTX end cap is attached with the barrel to maximize barrel shape and sweet spot.
- Features the VCX technology to dampen shock and vibration.
- USA Baseball stamped.
Approved by almost all the baseball leagues and association.
3.Demarini Sabotage One Youth Baseball Bat
Take your batting average to new heights with this DeMarini Sabotage. Built for speed to help young players elevate their game. It provides an astonishingly smooth and balanced feel joined with more backspin on contact than ever before. Expect an even greater response speed and dramatically improved weight control thanks to the elite Big D end cap, which provides explosive power while absorbing shock and negative vibration. The DeMarini Sabotage One baseball bat is not your average bat.
- 2 3/8 Inch Barrel Diameter
- -11 Length To Weight Ratio
- Approved For Play In AABC, Babe Ruth, Cal Ripken, Dixie Youth, Little League, & Pony
- Colorway: Silver | Black | Red
- One-Piece, All-Alloy Design
- MFA (Missile Forged Alloy) for ultra-light weight performance
- Big D™ End Cap optimizes bat weight and feel on contact
- Swing Weight: Ultra-balanced
- Certification: USA
- Barrel Size: 2 3/8″
- Drop: (-11)
- Recommended for ages 7 to 10
4. Easton ADV 360 Youth Baseball Bat
Next on the list is Easton ADV 360 Composite Baseball Bat. This is a more expensive bat but is engineered with Easton’s Ultra-Lite Launch Composite with carbon fiber instead of aluminum.
Designed for the best combination of power and speed, and is the most advanced two-piece composite bat. Speed Cap provides a more flexible and responsive barrel. The premium grip offers the ultimate combination of cushion and tack for pure performance. It is approved for play in leagues and associations that follow the USA Baseball standard.
- -12 Length To Weight Ratio
- 2 5/8 Inch Barrel Diameter
- Extremely Balanced Swing Weight
- USA Baseball Certification
- One-Piece, Composite Baseball Bat
- Launch Composite Technology Optimizes Barrel Profile & Performance
- New 360 Engineering For Barrel-Tuned Precision
- Speed Cap Provides More Flex And Better Response
- Carbon Zero Handle Dampens Negative Vibrations
- Soft Knob Technology Improves Comfort
5. Demarini CF USSSSA Baseball Bat
If money is not an issue, I will suggest let’s go for DeMarini baseball bat The composite bat will be the stick of choice for those middle school level hitters looking for a bit of barrel weight than the drop 10 or 8. It features a composite handle that offers an improved feel over DeMarini’s previous CF releases.
When it comes to two-piece composite bats, there’s no questioning this bat leads the pack. If you want to put the outfielders in backpedal mode all game long, here’s the bat!
- Paraflex Plus Composite Barrel
- Reaction End Cap
- 3 Fusion Two Piece Construction
- USSSA 1.15 Certified
- Drop 5 length to weight ratio
- 2 5/8’’ Barrel size
- When it comes to two-piece composite bats, there’s no questioning this bat leads the pack.
6. Marucci Pro Maple Wood Youth Bat
Marucci has been very consistent with manufacturing good performing wood bats for youth. Crafted with the exact specifications as the custom adult AP5, this Youth Pro Model wood bat is built for power with an end-loaded feel and large barrel that’s scaled down for youth baseball players who can still mash.
Built for power with an end-loaded feel and large barrel that’s scaled down for youth baseball players. It will also bring excellent wood bat products to baseball players everywhere. It is an excellent choice for young hitters who are just starting and are trying to understand the type of hitting they are most comfortable with. The bat is durable, offers good performance, and is an excellent choice for training young kids to play with wood bats.
- Knob: Tapered
- Handle: Traditional
- Barrel: Large
- Feel: End-loaded
- 2 1/4 inch barrel diameter
- Handcrafted from Marucci’s top-quality maple
Bone rubbed for ultimate wood density
- Weight: (-5) to (-7.5) oz. drop (weight can vary depending on wood density)
- Knob: Tapered
- Handle: Traditional
- Barrel: 2 1/4″ (Large)
7. 2021 Rawlings Quatro Pro -8
Another high-end option for 2021 is the two-piece, all-composite Rawlings Quatro PRO -8 USA baseball bat. It;s one of the best youth baseball bats for contact hitters not playing on a budget. And, the impressive “crunch” sound is sure to build your confidence and presence at the plate.
Developing youth players will find this drop-8 bat is a perfect fit that helps them jump to the next level of play. Its many size options make it a versatile choice for players of all ages and sizes. However, the -8 drop of this option results in a heavier bat suited for older, more prominent youth players.
Aside from its heavier weight, the Rawlings Quatro Pro USA-approved bat still maintains a balanced swing weight. It is stuffed with features, such as Longitudinal Flex Technology in the barrel. This sophisticated composite design feature has been a favorite of Rawlings for years.
- Designed for an easier, quicker swing speed
- Created for all types of hitters ages 12 and under
- Provides Optimal swing balance and a smooth comfortable feel on contact due to the redesigned F2 focused Flex collar
- Ultra light drop weight and concaved endcap
- Vibration reduction protects the hand of the player
- Approved for use in all USA Baseball sanctioned baseball leagues
8. 2021 Easton REFLEX -12
The 2021 Easton Reflex -12 USA baseball bat is a simplistic, affordable design ideal for younger players who want their own bat. An alternate option for cheap youth baseball bats ALX100 Alloy, is durable and long-lasting, and reasonably lightweight. This delivers a balanced swing that youth players can control with ease. The width of the alloy barrel is slightly thinner than other youth bats.
- EASTON’S YOUTH REFLEX -12 is a one piece alloy bat that gives players a balance feel with every swing
- ALX100 MILITARY GRADE ALLOY construction blended with a concave end cap for premium durability and balance
- CUSHIONED 2.2MM FLEX GRIP provides additional comfort in the hands
- -12 DROP WEIGHT AND ENLARGED SWEET SPOT makes the Reflex youth baseball bat easy for kinds to swing and make contact
- IDEAL FOR THE YOUTH BASEBALL PLAYER this lightweight youth baseball bat will help players make better contact with the ball
- CERTIFICATION: Certified for play in all USA baseball leagues
9. 2021 Mizuno B21-Hot Metal -5
Mizuno Hot Metal bats are known for producing a loud, cacophonous ping! Upon contact – more than the usual ring of an alloy or composite bat. This all-alloy, one-piece bat gets its power from a unique inner barrel system. CorTech Technology carefully adjusts the thickness of each inner wall to produce the most significant possible sweet spot.
For even more sweet spot power, Mizuno’s Optimized End Cap produces excellent compression within the barrel, which will cause balls to soar. This, along with the Mizuno’s Hot Metal Alloy, is where the bat gets its unique sound.
- The 2021 B21-Hot Metal is available with a -10 length-to-weight ratio.
- Hot Metal Alloy and Optimized End Cap create an impressive, loud ping noise on contact.
- CorTech Technology inside the barrel maximizes performance of the bat’s sweet spot.
- Available in two drop weights to appeal to a wide range of players.
- Optimized End Cap: Great sound on batted balls, while also positively affecting the bat’s sweet spot to give you more pop.
10. 2021 Marucci CAT Connect -11
The Marucci CAT Connect -11 USA baseball bat is arguably the best youth USA baseball bat on the market. It has an affordable price and yet it has performance features comparable to the most expensive models on the list.
Hybrid, two-piece bats, even at the youth level, is on the higher end of the pricing spectrum, as we’ve already seen with some of these other youth baseball bat reviews. The Marucci CAT Connect USA bat is notable because it has a relatively affordable, midrange price despite being a two-piece hybrid.
The alloy barrel is made from AZ105 Alloy, which is Marucci’s most robust aluminum material used in adult models. Not only is this balanced bat exceedingly durable, but it also offers exceptional performance.
And, that’s not all! The Marucci CAT Connect USA baseball bat also features Ring-Free Barrel Construction which produces more flex during the swing for an improved whip. It also ensures the barrel has no dead spots for more consistent hitting and fewer painful mishits.
- Utilizing a three-stage thermal treatment process, our new AZR alloy offers a more responsive microstructure for better feel.
- Using a Longitudinal Groove System™, LGS™, across the thickest section of the barrel wall allows for excess weight reduction while also increasing flexibility for an increased performance zone
- Multi-variable wall design creates an expanded sweet spot and thinner barrel walls that are more forgiving after off-centered contact
- Ring-free barrel construction allows for more barrel flex and increases performance with no “dead” spots
- Power-loaded barrel results in a higher M.O.I. and end-loaded feel for effortless power
- Micro-perforated soft-touch grip with extra tack improves feel and control
- The CAT9 comes standard with a black 1.75mm grip
- Grip weight and manufacturing tolerances may cause slight deviation from the listed weight
- 2 5/8″ barrel
- BBCOR certified
That concludes our list of the best youth baseball bats. These are some of the best value youth bats that you can find on the market, including high-end options for players looking for the best that money can buy.The youth baseball bat you will select will shape your success as a baseball player.
Do not fork over your hard-earned money unless you are sure the bat you have in mind will help you perform better at the plate. Your bat should feel comfortable in your hands, remain intact instead of shattering when hitting baseballs, be a perfect weight and feel perfect throughout the entirety of your swing.
Do not stop seeking the best youth wood baseball bat until it fits all of the guidelines listed above. Once you find a wood bat that meets this criterion, purchase it even if it is a bit more costly than other options.
Price should not be a deal-breaker as paying for an inferior but more affordable baseball bat will be disappointing because of poor performance at the plate and a higher likelihood of shattering. Opt for the cream of the crop, and you will have a comfortable, reliable, and practical youth wood baseball bat worth every penny and then some.